quinta-feira, 30 de junho de 2011

Jill Johnston Taught Me to Be a Lesbian



Copiado de Ms. blog Magazine:

Jill Johnston was the boldest lesbian of her time. I religiously read her Village Voice columns in the 1970s and ’80s, and her classic book Lesbian Nation was probably the first I ever saw with the word “lesbian” in the title.That was my coming-of-age time as a lesbian feminist, and push-the-envelope Jill Johnston serving as the standard bearer of the cause, both sexual and political.

When I read that Johnston died on Sept. 18 at age 81, I immediately wanted to re-read some of those experimental, stream-of-consciousness writings. And what do you know, I actually found a file where I kept of dozens of these. So, randomly, some of her musings:

"Imagine that the women in charge of the film industry use their power to ridicule men’s liberation, presenting [men] in films as a bunch of frustrated studs, deluded into thinking they can be women, burning their jockstraps and waving signs – but always ending up in the boudoir of a condescending woman, always giving up the struggle and being happily subservient to her." ["Women and Film," July 12, 1973]

Nenhum comentário: